Amazon Deals

New at Amazon

Wednesday, October 30, 2013

“Intellectual Sewing”: Keeping Proust in Stitches

Keeping Proust in Stitches: "In 2008 I began to cut up all seven volumes of Marcel Proust’s novel A la recherche du temps perdu and to hand stitch 3,000 pages of print into patchwork... 

A new academic sub-discipline is born: “Sewing Proust: Patchwork as Critical Practice,” Rhiannon Williams, Textile: The Journal of Cloth and Culture, Volume 1, Number 1, November 2013 , pp. 43-56. 

The author, at the University of Derby, explains: “I describe my own work, somewhat provocatively, as ‘intellectual sewing’ conducted in the manner of a critique. My methodology supports the agenda for integration of theory into practice...

"In 2008 I began to cut up all seven volumes of Marcel Proust’s novel A la recherche du temps perdu and to hand stitch 3,000 pages of print into patchwork...

That is to say, what might it mean to take apart then stitch together Proust’s Modernist text 100 years after its production?”"

Monty Python’s All-England Summarize Proust Competition (uncensored*):


*From the YouTube info
"All the videos of this sketch that I've seen here are the censored version, so I figured I'd upload this. It's from one of my old Python videos that I taped from PBS. 
For those that don't know, the line "Strangling animals, golf, and masturbating" was censored by the BBC when this episode first aired. Then for the first Flying Circus DVD release, it was not only censored, but the scene was actually re-cut to only say "Golf and strangling animals". This video has the original, unedited line intact."
More on this project and similar sewing-with-print projects here.

No comments:

Post a Comment