Amazon Deals

New at Amazon

Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Object character recognition scanning for ebooks cannot tell its 'arms' from its 'anus'

A technical problem with optical character recognition software creates some awkward moments when romance novels (and other books, I guess) are converted to ebooks.

Sarah Wendell of Smart Bitches, Trashy Books has done some research and unearthed some of the lines created by this little glitch: 
"Mrs. Tipton went over to him and put her anus around his neck. " My dear," she said, rapturously. " I have been hoping for years that you would talk that way to me."

From the title Matisse on the Loose: "When she spotted me, she flung her anus high in the air and kept them up until she reached me.
'Matisse. Oh boy!' she said. She grabbed my anus and positioned my body in the direction of the east gallery and we started walking."

Also: "Mrs, Nevile, in exquisite emotion, threw her anus around the neck of Caroline, pressed Her with fervour to her breast".

And '"Bertie, dear Bertie, will you not say good night to me" pleaded the sweet, voice of Minnie Hamilton, as she wound her anus affectionately around her brother's neck. "No," he replied angrily, pushing her away from him."' Well, wouldn't you?
"So if the text is old, and it says 'arms', the OCR [optical character recognition] scanner will see it as 'anus.' OMG," Wendell tweeted.

via Guardian.

No comments:

Post a Comment